News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

double glazed door lock

Started by Janette, 26 June 2007 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janette

I have an old upvc back door the lock is giving me some trouble. It seems to be the long metal lockstrip that runs up the side of the door that is faulty as the hooks aren't shooting out as normal when I lift the handle. Is it possible to buy a new lock for a upvc door and are they difficult to fit?

Xavier

I would just try some WD40 oil on the multipoint lock down the side of the door first to see if that frees it.

Also you should just check the door hasn't dropped.

If it has dropped then the locking points will not locate into the metal strikers on the frame causing the handle to be difficult to lift.

You would then need to either move the metal strikers down or lift the door up(by adjusting hinges or toeing and heeling the door).

Good luck :)

Chris

The long lock down the side of your upvc door is called a multipoint lock. They can be an expensive part to replace so first like xavier I would suggest spraying inside the hook gearboxes and the main gearbox with WD40.

It may also be that the hooks and other locking points on the multipoint door lock are not locating exactly with the metal keeps on the fixed frame. Sometimes the hooks etc. can catch and grind badly when they locate in the keeps making the handle difficult to lift so try removing one keep at a time and checking if it gets any easier to lock. If it does then you simply reposition one or more keeps. It is likely if nothing so far has improved it then you will need to purchase a new multipoint lock. There should be a brand name printed into the long metal strip of the lock e.g "GU or WINKHAUS". Then type this in a search engine along with the phrase "multipoint upvc door lock". You should find multiple companies offering locks for sale. You could also click on this link which will take you directly to the locks on one of the online upvc hardware stores https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/multipoint-upvc-door-locks

To ensure you get a compatible version you will need to measure in millimeters the distance from the square spindle whole in the central gearbox to the center of each hook gearbox. The good webstores should have these dimensions in the product descriptions.

Janette

I now have a working back door again.

I decide to call out a double glazing repair company in the end and they pointed out that the door had dropped. They "toed and heeled" it or something like that which involved them re-packing around the glass. They also adjusted the hinges and put oil on the hooks that lock into the frame.

The door now works perfectly and thanks to you Chris & Xavier I kind of knew what needed to be done to the door.

Xavier

No problem Janette.

Glad you got the door working again and that our advice was usefull. :)