News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

upvc patio door problem

Started by craig n, 26 September 2007 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig n

I Seem to be having all sorts of problems with my patio door.

The door is very hard to open and then it will not lock. I gave it a shove and managed to lock it. Now, it seems we are locked in as we cannot use the key to open, it will not budge. I am a bit concerned in case of fire and we are locked in with only the front door as escape. Maybe we need to replace the patio door, but I think it will cost loads, it was installed by everest.

Please is there an easier way to this solution? Who I need to contact to deal with this problem, is it a locksmith? Thanks

Chris

Yes I believe patio doors are quite expensive now.

First I think you need to find the bit of the door that has broken then see if the parts are still manufactured.

Jimevans

If you are wanting to call somebody out to repair your patio door then try one of the phone books and look under "double glazing repairs" for a repair company.

Be aware that some of these companies may still tell you that it is un-repairable so that they can sell you a new door when in fact it could be repaired. If you are looking to repair it yourself then you will first have to identify which part of gearing is broken and try to locate one from a company on the internet. I use www.upvc-hardware.co.uk for locks and things, they seem to offer lots of parts.

To find out which part is broken you will need to remove one part of gearing at a time and test it until you find the offending item.