upvc panel security, any ideas or opinions?

Started by crh52, 14 October 2010 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crh52

hello,

i have just bought a new upvc door, more through necessity than want!. While I will be upgrading the cylinder to a better more secure one, it seems little can be done about the panels which from closer examination seem to be in my opinion unable to stand a good few kicks!!. The beading is internal which would help but I am looking for any ideas to reinforce the beading , any ideas?.

thanks

Pete Smith

You can do a couple of things.

If the bead is fitted after the seal/gasket on the outside then you can replace the outer rubber gasket with security tape. This tape is designed to hold panels and glass secure even when the beading has been removed. Use a spirit cleaner first on both surfaces before the double sided security tap is applied. It comes in different thicknesses from 1mm to 6mm to match the thickness of the gasket it replaces.

At the same time check what the panel is made of. It will consist of two upvc outer skins approx 2mm thick then polystyrene filling with possibly a thin layer of MDF or metal sheeting. Generally these panels can be replaced with a solid MDF filling - much stronger. Timber is a good insulator so heat loss shouldn't be an issue.

Here is a link to a company who stock security tape:
http://www.eurocell.co.uk/
local glazier/glass companies should also stock this.   

The following company produce panels:
Direct Door Panels - 01484 718329 - West Yorkshire HD6 1LQ
Among many other companies around the UK