News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

Is the Avocet ABS lock the best?

Started by JJAY219, 27 January 2011 02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJAY219

My sister has just had her lock barrels in her upvc doors replaced, fitting the Avocet ABS locks as replacements. She read in her local paper that burglars are snapping standard locks in double glazed doors and gaining access within minutes. I'm now looking to replace all my locks but wanted to research which would be the best type if there's a choice and the difference between them. Also are standard locks really that easy to break into or is there some "scare mongering" going on. 

Pete Smith

Sorry to alarm you and other forum users but yes many burglars now know that the euro cylinder is the weak point on a upvc or composite door. A standard euro cylinder (door barrel) can be snapped and the door opened in under a minute.

To prevent this all you need to do is replace your standard lock barrels with high security (Snap Safe) versions, 5 minutes of a job. 

One of the first Snap Safe euro cylinders on the market was the "Squire SnapSafe" lock. The "Cisa Astral S" lock was launched a few years later preferred by many locksmiths over the Squire due to a laminate core strengthening the cylinder as apposed to cuts weakening it. However following extensive testing these two high security cylinders have failed to pass certain levels of security (Sold Secure SS312 Diamond Standard) when attacked by snapping.

The latest high security euro cylinder to hit the market is the "Avocet ABS". The ABS is accredited with the new BSI TS007 3 star rating for security hardware - the new british standard which tests the enhanced security requirements for euro cylinders. ABS has also been accredited with the Master Locksmith Association's Sold Secure Diamond standard, the highest standard for a security cylinder.

For more info on the new TS007 standard visit the door hardware federation micro site:

http://ts007.dhfonline.org.uk/

The Avocet ABS is probably one of the most expensive high security locks but widely considered as the most secure. The Yale Anti-Snap comes a close 2nd also achieving the Sold Secure SS312 Diamond Standard but only achieving 1 star for the new BSI TS007 standard. It's also easier to get keys copied compared to the ABS lock. Here's a link to a site selling both types:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/euro-cylinder-lock-barrels

jimbob

As a locksmith myself I'm now fitting the "Avocet ABS" locks when a customer wants to upgrade security. In the past I have used the "Cisa Astral S" and the "Squire Snap Safe", non that I have fitted have been breached to my knowledge. The ABS probably has the edge now although it is a bit more expensive, I buy my ABS locks online:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/euro-cylinder-lock-barrels/avocet-abs-euro-cylinder-locks-bump-drill-snap-resistant

I would advise everyone to replace their standard euro cylinder with a high security euro cylinder, it's easy to change yourself and for between £25 - £45 your house is much more secure. Burglars can breach a standard one in under a minute with very little noise.

eurocylsdirect

We are a supplier of UAP anti-snap euro profile cylinders - which start from as little as £13

Police preferred specification, and conform to BS EN1303:2005

Each one comes complete with 3 keys, and as we are actually locksmiths.

[url=http://www.eurocylindersdirect.co.uk]Anti-Snap Euro Profile Cylinders[/url]

MBSBD

UAP offers absolutely no resistance to lock snapping, I have seen first hand UAP zero lift locks snapped and burglars had gained entry!! Same goes for CISA, I used to use CISA but moved to ABS.

MBSBD

I did a lot of research on this before buying, i visited Avocet, (I have too much time on between jobs), and saw the UAP snapped, if snapped downwards the sacrificial cut doesn't work, also UAP has kite mark but only 1 star, that means it is tested for picking and bumping but not snapping apparently. As a mechanical engineer i looked into this a lot, even signed up to neighbourhood watch afterwards to make people more aware, narrowed it down to two locks, Ultion and ABS, went for ABS in the end, mainly because the keys are more difficult to get hold of.

Sparesguy

The best answer anyone can give is that the most current and best test standard is the Secure By Design Diamond Standard TS007. This has been around since mid 2011 and is the recommended certification by many Police associations, in particular West Yorkshire police (which is the highest area in which lock snapping is taking place) This test was specifically brought in to test for lock snapping as a means of entry. Do not be fooled by locks stating they are kite marked and S.B.D. this does not mean they have been tested for actual lock snapping. Look for the words Diamond Standard and TS007
    The only locks currently on the market that I know of that achieve S.B.D. Diamond Standard TS007 are the Mul-T-Lock XP which is very expensive, and the ABS Cylinder. The UAP cylinder is a functional budget end lock cylinder and should be treated as such, it only offers minimal security and would never come close to meeting the Diamond Standard.

MBSBD

Quote from: Sparesguy on 13 October 2012  08:18 PM
The best answer anyone can give is that the most current and best test standard is the Secure By Design Diamond Standard TS007. This has been around since mid 2011 and is the recommended certification by many Police associations, in particular West Yorkshire police (which is the highest area in which lock snapping is taking place) This test was specifically brought in to test for lock snapping as a means of entry. Do not be fooled by locks stating they are kite marked and S.B.D. this does not mean they have been tested for actual lock snapping. Look for the words Diamond Standard and TS007
    The only locks currently on the market that I know of that achieve S.B.D. Diamond Standard TS007 are the Mul-T-Lock XP which is very expensive, and the ABS Cylinder. The UAP cylinder is a functional budget end lock cylinder and should be treated as such, it only offers minimal security and would never come close to meeting the Diamond Standard.

JUST TO BE CLEAR - "Secure by Design Diamond Standard TS007" does not exist. You have confused and mixed 3 separate accreditation's together. The Avocet ABS and the Yale Anti Snap achieve all three accreditation's, however the ABS achieves a TS007 3 Star rating, the Yale a 1 Star rating.   

The Sold Secure Diamond standard SS312 is administered by the MLA, does test rigorously for snapping, picking and bumping .

TS007 is a publicly available specification issued by a group interested manufacturers - the Door Hardware Federation -  to which BSI give third party accreditation - for a fee. However you need to be careful - a 1 star TS007 cylinder is not tested for snapping - a 3 star one is.

Secured by Design is run by ex police officers - Secured by Design product do not guarantee protect at all. For example the UAP cylinder has secured by design and offers no resistance to snapping. Secured by Design does no independent testing - they work on this principle, do you have a kitemark, yes, then give me a cheque and i will give you an SBD certificate too.