News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

Tilt and turn windows problem

Started by giselle2912, 25 February 2011 08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giselle2912

Hello
I have some tilt and turn windows that aren't working properly.  Whilst they should only tilt or turn, one of them is doing both at same time, it almost looks like the top bit has come off the hinge.  Can anyone help with how to repair this.  It did happen on another window a while ago, and I just gave it a good push and it returned to normal.  Also the handle won't move from the position it's in, so assume it's all connected.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks you

Chris

The window has either become miss-handled, needs adjusting or a part has broken.

To reset if miss-handled:
Look for a black plastic/rubber triangular part that's sprung loaded on the side of the window. Push it in then turn the handle first to the tilt position pushing the window vertically straight, then to the turn position then close the window. Open the window, if it starts tilting and turning at the same time then it probably only needs adjusting.

To adjust the window:
The most common adjustment that is needed is adjusting the bottom hinge. Remove the bottom hinge cover, insert an allan key into the top of the hinge body and screw clockwise. The window will then lift causing the top corner to connect with the gearing and hold it in the upright position.

If non of the above works then its likely a part of the gearing has broken. The most common part to fail on a tilt n turn window is the drive gear, the following company offer a good selection:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/drive-gear-mechanisms/

vic

Hi I am a new member but having a similar problem. I have identified the source of the problem as the black "button" that is depressed when the window closes to release the spring loaded button. Instead of being depressed it rocks . As a result does not release the button. I have to resort to a credit card to achieve the desired action. What is the "button" unit called and where do you suggest I get a replacement from?
It is only held in by one screw and the whole unit is 6cm long. I do not know the name of the profile or the window gear.
Regards
Vic

Chris

The black button is called a miss-handling device. I'm not sure where you could get a replacement. Generally they cause problems, the window should work fine without it.

Paul

Hi i had the same problem and tried to fix it myself, i just made it worse. I then done a search over the internet and rang a few companies, mention the words tilt and turn and they don't want to know.
I had one company out of the local paper who came out and put a chisel in there to try and open it and just dented the plastic so i told him to leave it.

Then a work colleague recommended a double glazing repair company from Birmingham called 0121 Repairs i rang them to see if they done work in Coventry and they did.
So they sent a man out called Paul who said this was a common problem, he took the glass out opened the window got an allen key in the top part of the window adjusted the screw thing on top and hey presto it's now working perfect.

So i can recommend www.0121repairs.co.uk from Birmingham for tilt and turn problems.

vic

I am having problems opening a tilt and turn window. The lever moved a few degrees and thats it. Something appears to be jamming. How can I get the window open to try and identify the problem?

vic

Glad to say now sorted. It was our old friend the mis-handling device. I took out the glass. Released the handle, which was not very far, and rattled the opener in the frame. The top suddenly released far enough for me to see the device. Removed it and sorted. Why do they use such an unreliable device. I have now removed the remaining device from my other tilt and turn. Hope this may help someone else.