News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

Another tilt and turn problem!

Started by smiffy, 15 November 2011 03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smiffy

Morning all

My t&t window could not be closed fully from the tilt position.  After reading here I tried resetting it with the mishandling device but this hasn't fixed it.   

On closer inspection the metal part at the top of the frame had completely popped out of its slot and the long toothed bar was bent.  I was able to bend this straight again and refit the window so it will now tilt but not close completely and of couse the handle won't operate - its currently in the tilt (90 degrees) position and moves slightly up and down.

Does this sould like something I could fix myself and if not what sort of cost would it be for someone to fix it?  It's a Garant mechanism BTW.

Iceni

Most T & T systems are made out of a number of standard fittings that are cut to length to match the window they are used on.

It should be possible to identify the exact part by a part No. stamped on it.

It's just a case of then getting one, take the old one off, cut the new one to match (normally just a hack saw will do it) then fit it.

You will probably find that the new part will be locked in position - this is to allow everything to connected in the correct position. The first time it is operated the seal is broken.

That does mean that you will need to position the other parts to match its installation position.

smiffy

Thanks for the reply.  The part thats causing the problem is the corner piece which has become bent, so I will try to obtain one from a supplier.    I can get the window to operate normally now but it is very tight, I thnk the cams are too close to the strikers.

How difficult is it to get the parts in the right position? - by this I assume you mean the position of the cams relative to the strikers?

Iceni

If you look at the link below for Roto T & T gear you will see on page 6 an exploded view of a complete system and page 14 shows how the parts mate together.

The second link hopefully shows your system.

As all the cams need to enter the keeps at the same time each part has to be at the same position of its travel.
If not some cams might be in the closed position and others in the open and the mechanism will therefore not be able to move.

When you get your new part you will find it won't move while your old one will. The new one needs its seal to broken, thus releasing it from its set position.

So note where the cam is within its slot on the new part and adjust the all the other cams so they are all in the same relative position.

Then once its all fitted and your happy the cams are all correct, operate the handle and it will break the seal and everything should then work.

http://www.roto.co.uk/PDFs/Tilt%20&%20Turn/nt_Rhinge-timber_rfgb219.pdf

http://www.hautau.de/de/pages/download/drehkipp/katalog/GARANT-LM_Katalog_GB.pdf

smiffy