News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

Tilt'n'turn stuck in tilt position

Started by ELLISMAN, 18 April 2013 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELLISMAN

I hope someone can help... We have inward opening tilt and turn windows (I wish we didn't but we bought a Persimmon home built 7 years ago and that's what they came with) and the Master bedroom window is not working. It is in the tilt position but the handle just turns pretty freely between the three positions and it won't lock the window (or turn it). I'm usually pretty good at fixing most problems around the house but, because I can't access any part of the edge of the window frame with it stuck in the tilt position, I'm at a loss to know where to start with this one. Presumably the mechanism attached to the handle has broken or just come adrift...

Any suggestions gratefully received!

ELLISMAN

Aha! Fixed it!

Having removed the two screws holding on the handle (breaking one of the screw covers in the process...) I could see that it was just that the shaft was not connected to the handle any more. (I could operate the window by turning the shaft with an adjustable wrench so the internal mechanism was clearly still working.) All I had to do was force the shaft back into the handle - judicious use of a hammer achieved that. All seems to be working now...

The biggest hurdle in all of this was that it looks as though somebody (installer?!) had drilled out the cross headed slots in one of the screws - it looked too clean simply to have been stripped by a screwdriver - so I had to work hard to get that screw out. Could the installer have done that so you had to call out a professional when a problem occurred?!