Tilt and turn window stuck in open position. Please help!

Started by JG, 27 April 2013 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JG

Hi - we have an SI tilt and turn window - it has somehow got stuck open in both the tilt and turn position, and is hanging open by the top hinge. Problem is, the mechanism is stuck and so the window won't close. I have read other posts about resetting the misshandling device but this doesn't work. This is because the handle is stuck in the 11 to 12o'clock position and wont move into the 9o'clock position. When I try, it is stopped by something and I can see the metal cover strip bulging outwards (above the handle on the side of the window) like its going to pop off or break. I can also see that the pin on top of the window, near the top hinge, is not lining up with the gap it needs to move into, and this is stopping the window from closing.  Any help would be much appreciated!!

Chris

A few questions first to try and solve this problem:

Is the 9 o'clock position usually the tilt or the turn setting.

Can you see a miss-handling device on the side of the window (black plastic or thin metal triangular shaped item). It's usually visible with the window open down the handle side.

Sometimes the only way to fix this is to remove the hinge pin from the top hinge (remove the plastic cover first). The pin just taps out with a hammer. Then lift the window off the bottom hinge while tilting the window into the property.

With the window removed the gearing can be accessed and set in the turn position ready for re-installing.   

JG

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply, much appreciated. In answer to your questions:

1. The 9 o'clock position is the tilt position (ie the top of the window opens inwards)

2. Yes I can see the misshandling device.

I look forward to hearing back from you, with your advice.

Thanks again.

JG

Hi Chris

I still haven't managed to fix my window, so am eagerly awaiting your reply (or anyone elses, if you can help!)

Kind regards

John

hairydog

John,

Did you try to do what Chris suggested? Until you do that and either succeed or fail, I can't see how anyone can help.