News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

UPVC Door unlockable

Started by sdm, 25 February 2009 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdm

Hi,

My front door has broken and i'm seeking a bit of advice to see if i can fix it myself.

Basically, the handle on the inside lifts up loosely and no longer puts what i think is called the multipoint locks in place, meaning i can't lock the door with a key.

Is it possibly the gearbox that would need replacing?  If it is, how do i get to it.  Do i need to remove all the screws on the panel to remove the long metal strip?

Thanks for your time and any assitance.

sdm

Pete Smith

Gearboxes are only available for certain brands of multipoint lock. If you can't just get the central box, you will have to buy the complete lock down the side of the door.

useful link:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/multipoint-upvc-door-locks

Assuming you have found a supplier for the gearbox, remove the handle set and the lock barrel (explained in an earlier thread) then take out the fixing screws down the side of the door that hold on the metal strip to the door.

With the multipoint lock removed, take the screws out that hold the gearbox to the metal strip and fit the new gearbox.

All you really need is a screw driver or cordless drill for the screws, no other tools required.