News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

uPVC door lock problem

Started by surferman, 26 June 2007 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surferman

Hi all,

The locking mechanism on my back door has jammed. I think there could be some dirt (or bit of a stone/brick/rubble) wedged somewhere in it.

Does anyone know how to get the hinges off the door from the inside?

The bottom of the door has come free, but the hooks near the top are stuck so if The hinges could be removed, I think the door would be able to be carefully lifted clear from the frame.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Hi Andy,

If you have butt fix hinges see link:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/hinges

then you may be able to remove the pin(s) that go through the hinges. The pins are sometimes held in place with grub screws that you can only access when the door is open. If you have face fix 3-D hinges, see link above.

If they are face fix you could try removing the main cover plate of the hinge on the door. Sometimes they are held in place with screws from the back and again you would need to open the door first to undo the screw which you can't do. If it is not secured with a screw then once the main cover plate is removed you can undo the fixing screws that hold it to the door, remove the door side of the hinge and then remove the door.

If the bottom of the door is releasing but the top isn't then it is likely that the multipoint lock has failed and would need replacing, these can be purchased online.

Hamster218

Try prising the door away from the frame by using a wide thick metal blade, even a garden spade would do.

Once you have made a gap between the door and the frame and can see the locking points then you can start trying to manually move them using screw drivers and hammers.

To make the door easier to prise/gemmy you could remove the glass or uPVC pannel in the door.

As a last resort i would try removing the hinges.

Hope this is some help to you surferman :)

surferman

Thanks Guys,

will try what you suggest tomorrow.

Cheers.

surferman

Just thought i'd get back to you,

Good news!!!!!!!!............sort of

After about 15 minutes with my wife levering the door from the frame using a spade while I used a metal paint scraper and hammer to release the top hooks, the door released. It looks like the lock mechanism down the side of the door is shaged to put it politely.

Hopefully a bit of browsing on the google and I should be able to find a replacement. It is a coldseal door incase somebody can save me some time and point me in right direction.

Cheers Hamster218. :)

Pete Smith

Hi surferman,

You have probably sorted out your door now but incase you haven't and you are still looking for the parts then try this link:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/multipoint-upvc-door-locks/coldseal-upvc-door-locks