tilt and turn upvc window, handle just turns

Started by waunwenner1, 27 August 2010 01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waunwenner1

Hi, I'm new to this forum and not much of a handyman at all. Hope someone can help.

Someone closed the window when a thin curtain was somehow stuck in it, and it seems to have broken something inside as now the handle just turns, and isn't moving the lock mechanism. It seems to be stuck between tilt and turn as one corner is free and it also opens inwards (horizontally.)

I took the handle off and I can see that there's a cog inside which is just turning freely so I think I'd need to open the window to replace it or something.

I'm not confident at all and don't want to make it worse, so can anyone offer any advice as to what I'd need to do?

Thanks a lot.
Scott

Pete Smith

You need to replace a part called a "Tilt and Turn Dirve Gear". This is the gearing part running down the edge of the window, the handle then connects into it. The "drive gear" has a cog in the middle as you describe.

Once this part is replaced - hopefully nothing else is broken and the window should work again. The following company offer a good selection:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/drive-gear-mechanisms

Fitting it is a bit complicated for someone without experiance. I'll try to explain here, if you don't understand then best call out a double glazing repair company.

Remove the handle (2 screws on the front of the handle usually hidden behing a cover plate)
Remove the screws from down the side of the window that fasten the drive gear to the window
Disconnect the drive gear top and bottom from the rest of the gearing.
Cut the new drive gear to the same length as the original.
Put in place and connect with gearing top and bottom.
Put screws in down the side to hold drive gear in place and re-fit handle

When connecting the new drive gear top and bottom, make sure the roller cam locking points all around the window are in the same position as the cams on the new drive gear so that its all in sync.

Hope you get it sorted Scott  :)

waunwenner1

Thanks Pete that's really helpful.

I'm about to order the part now and hopefully will get it sorted.

Cheers!

waunwenner1

One more thing, sorry to be a pain..

I've found the right one, Siegenia, and it's got the size range on the mechanism (601-1100) but there are two kinds, with a different backset size (7mm or 15mm).

Problem is, I've got no idea what the backset is, and the illustration on the site isn't very clear.

Can anyone help?

Pete Smith

The two parts look different. Compare the photos of the 7mm and 15mm backset items. I would remove your drive gear and compare it with the photos shown. The 15mm backset one is more common but there is a slim chance it could be a 7mm backset.

waunwenner1

Hiya Pete,

Just wanted to say thanks- the part came, I got my neighbour to cut it and I've just fitted it. Surprisingly, it actually works.

You've saved me upwards of a hundred quid, I reckon.

Cheers!
Scott