News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

My balcony door is stuck

Started by sfletch, 7 September 2010 11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfletch

Im having a bit of trouble with my balcony door, its one of those doors you can either crack a bit open by moving the handle half way up and then open the whole way by moving handle the whole way up, pretty standard tilt and turn i think..

Anyway, long story short, had a few friends over the other night and one of them manged to close the door, ie get the handle fully down, without the door closing properly. The top hinge that usually disconnects when cracked is still out aswell, and its not fully closed at the top either, i cant move the handle really at all to get it open, its completly jammed.

Ive tried to force the hande up so i can get the door moving again but i dont want to break the handle either. Im sure this must happen to people all the time, and i dont particularly want to pay a locksmith to come out, so any advice greatly appreciated? Should i use brute force, or can i take the handle off and move it that way? Thanks!

Chris

Tilt and Turn windows/doors are notoriously complex. Its difficult without being able to physically inspect the window to advise a course of action.

On some tilt and turns, there is a mishandling devise which will obstruct the handle from being turned until the top hinge stay is fully closed. This might be stopping the handle from being turned in your case. If you force the handle too much then something will break, then you have a bigger problem and more expense.

If I were you I would call out a double glazing repair company, it might not cost too much if no parts are needed.

Iceni

As the previous mail states there may be a device to stop the handle being turned when open.

Look down inside the gap between the sash and frame (if possible) for something protruding from the sash that looks as if it contacts something on the frame.

If so poke a rod or stick down and try and press it in.

I suppose you have alreadt tried pushing it closed and then trying to turn the handle.