News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

Tilt & Turn window

Started by John, 27 June 2007 12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I have a Tilt & Turn window that has not worked since we moved in to our new house. The handle moves further down past the vertical position and the window doesn't seem to respond to whichever position I put the handle in. Any idea what could be causing the problem as I haven't a clue where to start.

Chris

There are two parts that should be checked first of all because it is most likely to be either the handle or the drive gear that is at fault. The drive gear is the part of the gearing inside the window frame that the handle fastens into. The drive gear is a common part to fail. If the window is less than 8 years old and the drive gear has failed then it is likely that the window has not been adjusted and set up correctly and so has been difficult to use.

To test which one of these parts has failed, remove the two screws holding the handle on so that the handle can be removed and inspected. The spindle should be solid in the back of the handle and turn as the lever of the handle is turned. To remove the drive gear, open the window if possible and remove the screws down the edge of the window where the handle is. The drive gear is the long metal strip with a gearbox in the centre. The gearbox will be loose or collapse if the drive gear has failed.

Xavier

Yes much like chris says,

First- I would remove the handle from the window. This is done by removing the two screws in the backplate of the handle that secure it to the window.

Check if the long square metal spindle has fallen out the back of the handle or is loose. Test the handle.

Second- while the handle is off check the part inside the window that the handle goes into. There should be a square whole inside that the spindle of the handle goes into. check it is still there and make sure it isn't loose.

You should find that it is one of these 2 parts that has failed.

nicola_996

I think you may have helped me too Xavier.

I just visited https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing/drive-gear-mechanisms and purchased a new "drive gear" for our tilt & turn window. We were in two minds as to whether the window could be repaired or if we would have to replace it.

If we manage to get the window working with this new part it will have saved us over £400..................

Not bad ey ;)