News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

patio door not sliding easily

Started by squeeky clean, 27 June 2007 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeeky clean

I have a patio door that does not slide easily at all. It has been getting worse for some time but now I can hardly move it. It is the type of patio that just slides back and forth, it does not tilt at all. I think it could be the runners at the bottom. Please could you give me an idea of what may be causing the problem and how I could fix it. Many thanks.

Chris

You should be able to replace the bottom bogies/wheels. This will make the patio door slide much easier. Often the wheels become rusty and seized and need replacing. Check that the track is O.K first by running your finger along the track and feeling for bumps or ridges.

To gain access to the bogies you will need to lift the patio door off the track and support it on some tressles. The bogies are nearly always fastened in from the glazing side so you will need to remove the bottom frame section of the door. To do this remove the screws from the side of the door that fasten into the bottom section(you may need to remove plastic trims or rubber bungs to gain access to the screws). Once the bottom section of frame is removed the screws that hold the bogies in can be accessed and removed. Fit the new bogies and re-build the door.

On most occasions universal tandem bogies can be used as replacement parts. They have 2 wheels so should last longer and carry the doors weight better. The following link shows universal Tandem Bogies:
https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/patio-track-components/patio-roller-wheels