News:

Helping more people every day!

Main Menu

Tilt n Turn door

Started by tpr123, 16 April 2009 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpr123

Hi,

I have a tilt n turn door and the gearing has broken for the second time in 18months. Last time I got it fixed the installer charged me £800 and I can't afford to pay that again.

Could you give me some advise on how to get the door open to get to the gearing and identify it as I cannot open the door as the handle just turns.

Thanks,

Tom

jimbob

Hi Tom,

Remove the handle then insert a small metal hook into the door and turn it the same direction the handle would turn to open the door. Keep turning the hook and hopefully it will catch part of the gearing and pull it round to open the door.

If that doesn't work then gemy the door from the outside until you can see one of the locking cams/rollers. Once you have access to one of the cams you may be able to move it to the unlocked position which in turn will move all the gearing to the unlocked postion. If you remove the glass first it will be much easier to gemy the door.

£800 sounds a bit steep for a repair, other companies may be quite a bit cheaper, try http://www.yell.com , search for double glazing repairs.